Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Come join our team at Banner Health Center Peoria Primary Care. We are looking for a compassionate caring referral coordinator to join our great team of health care professionals. As a Referral Specialist you will verify and update patient registration information in the system/chart. Obtains benefit verification and necessary authorizations (referrals, precertification) prior to patient arrival for all specialty consultations and follow ups; Uses online, web-based verification systems and reviews real-time eligibility responses to ensure accuracy of insurance eligibility; attaches referrals and authorizations to patients' chart for billing purposes; will process roughly 50 referrals a day; and assist with phones as needed. Our team is family-centered primary care practice that cares for patients of all ages, with an emphasis on a geriatric patient population. We are dedicated to providing high quality medical care to all our patients. This specific position is to be part of a dynamic team of referral coordinators that process a high volume of outgoing specialty referrals. You will have a daily opportunity to learn new things and utilize your decision-making skills to make a difference in the lives in our patients.
Here at Banner Health Center Peoria Primary Care we embrace a positive, fun family atmosphere where we encourage our team members to learn and grow. We are open M-F with no evenings or weekend hours. Our primary care practice has been serving the West Valley for over 40 years. Our office is able to provide exceptional, consistent medical care with our dedicated staff who work together as a team to provide high-quality, comprehensive care while paying close attention to each patient's needs. We feel we have something special here and are looking forward to you joining our team.
At Banner Medical Group, you'll have the opportunity to perform a critical role in the community where you practice. Banner Medical Group provides both primary and specialty care throughout the communities in which Banner Health operates. We do this in a variety of settings - from smaller group practices like our Banner Health Clinics in Loveland, Colo. and Torrington, Wyo., to large multi-specialty Banner Health Centers in the metropolitan Phoenix area. We currently have more than 1,000 physicians and more than 3,500 total employees in our group and are seeking others to enhance our ability to deliver our nonprofit mission of providing excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for coordinating referral orders for a continuation of treatment, such as specialty services and diagnostic testing within a primary care practice. This position provides all pertinent clinical information needed for the payor authorization and the facility or specialist prior to the services being rendered. The position is responsible for tracking and managing all referrals with the intention and outcome to close any patient care gaps, along with providing documentation to promote team awareness.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Schedules appointments for specialty physician services and diagnostic testing per provider request and communicates with the patient on a timely basis for all scheduling requirements
2. Acts as a liaison between patients, providers and staff members for patients' referral and follow up needs. Provides prompt and professional service for the patients by assisting in educating patient/family and assisting patients with external resources when needed.
3. Provides all pertinent clinical information needed for the payor authorization, the facility or specialist prior to the services being rendered by verifying coverage, obtaining authorization and communicating with receiving facilities
4. Tracks and manages all referrals by monitoring outstanding referrals at 30/60/90 day intervals and following up with patients if appointments are not kept
5. Applies knowledge of medical terminology and maintains up to date knowledge of insurance environment. Utilizes internal and external resources to seek knowledge about regulations regarding various payor sources
6. Collaborates with outside referral sources and other community resources. Maintains an updated list of community resources and networks with colleagues to develop additional referral sources
7. This position has frequent communications with patients, physicians, staff, and third party payers. The position must work with and understand the concepts of managed health care and be able to prioritize tasks within established guidelines with moderate supervision
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Possesses 1 year of direct patient interaction/experience in a medical, insurance, or healthcare related industry. Knowledge of HIPAA regulations. Strong customer service focus and willingness to problem solve. Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to manage competing priorities. Must be proficient with commonly used office software.
Previous knowledge of managed care concepts. Working knowledge of medical terminology and ICD-9 and CPT codes.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.